Saturday, September 16, 2023

Cross Country

 I went to my first cross country running race today.  When I pulled in I thought I must be at the wrong spot, it looked like a festival with food trucks etc...

First my nephew ran a mile race.  He doesn't regularly run (well beyond the way a 8 year old runs all the time playing), but because it was the home race I guess they had something for the elementary kids? I was grateful he had a different color shirt on than all the other kids so he was easy to spot. I also learned I need to dress to run at these races, unless you only want to see them go by once.  If you want to see them multiple places on the course you need to be ready to move.  Luckily, I'm usually dressed pretty movement friendly, however next time I will also wear running shoes.

My niece is really fast.  She ran a 2 mile race and placed 4th (she missed 3rd by less than a second).  When I got there I thought, "I'd rather watch her play soccer," which I haven't got to do yet this year because the games have been overlapping with my park and rec tennis.  I also thought, "In a couple years she is going to have to choose between this and soccer, I hope she chooses soccer."

That was my thought before the race, after the race I thought,

"I hope she chooses what she loves."


No comments:

Post a Comment