Monday, September 30, 2024

A long one Today!

#1 - I did my 2nd pilates reformer class today - I signed up for 4 free - I can see how it is good for me and if it didn't cost extra I'd probably continue doing it.

 #2 - I do home visits with families.  I'm supposed to be there supporting the parent (of a pre-school age kid).  Sometimes the parents sit back and I have to walk a line of, "Is there something really important going on or do I need to ask them to put away their phone?" or "Are they just putting in a quick load of laundry or are they off doing a bunch of other things?"

 Ideally the parent is leading and I am sitting back.  Today I brought a new book and one mom, who has really been taking the lead, completely took over. She kept her 3 year old engaged in the book a good 20 minutes, long past when they actually finished reading it.  I was so grateful to be there doing what I am supposed to, encouraging and letting her lead.

 #3 - Similarly another family (both of these families it is my 2nd year working with), where the mom was often leaving the room last year, isn't yet taking the lead, however she has remained present and interactive in all the visits thus far.  Win!

#4 - I am about to go and do something intimidating. A woman whom I've taken occasional writing classes with for years, emailed, "Hi Tammy! Not sure you'd be into this, but I'm going! Hope all well.It was a Spanish Cultural Conversations class thru community ed. I was interested.

It was at a time that worked.

It was at a nearby location.

However the description said it is for people that speak Spanish with fluency and know the subjunctive. 

I don't even remember what the subjunctive is.

I emailed that to this woman and she said she is the same but still signed up.

Well, I've heard in the past about job applications (I don't recall the specifics) but that a majority of men would apply for a job they had 50% of the qualifications for while women needed 80%.  (I'm making up those numbers, but it is the idea.)  And I thought, "I am NOT qualified for this AND maybe I should try anyway.  For God's sake it is community ed."

I still wouldn't even consider it except for the invitation and support that someone I know is doing the same.  I am heading there soon.  We'll see...

 

#5 - Finally I wrote about my first, potentially, problematic interaction with a neighbor in my building in a post almost 2 years ago

Friday, October 14, 2022

The Last Neighbors


I haven't seen that neighbor in a while, I'm guessing he moved out though his roommate is still here. But regardless, my initial fears about his anger turned into a positive connection.
 
About a year ago a different, what I'd call angry - because I've heard him scream some pretty awful things at his kids - neighbor moved in behind me.  I try to be friendly to him and his kids.  However, when I informed him that his vehicles were about to get towed recently (the parking lot was supposed to be empty for some work).  I almost thought, "Maybe I should have let him."

However, today when I got home there was something attached to my door.  It was a $30 gift card for gas. 

I actually prevented 2 neighbors from getting towed that day (both would have had 2 vehicles towed), and it is the one that I would call unkind who returned in an act of generosity.  I got a fortune recently that said, "Kindness is the ability to love people more than they really deserve."

Or maybe it's the other way around, when we treat people with the kindness they deserve, they are more likely to act worthy of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment