Friday, December 23, 2011

Zeitoun


#1 - I noticed I a stain on the front of my sweater (I had been clearing out the fridge, some of the moldy jelly I tried to pour out I guess.) I put some water over the spot and it came right out.

#2 - I'm going to the co-op later this afternoon to buy groceries. I expect it to be crazy/busy because that particular co-op is always crazy busy and it is Christmas weekend. However, I feel peaceful/calm enough about my weekend that I am ready to be the calm in the storm (or so I think :).

#3 - I printed out the chords for some Indigo Girls songs this week and it has recharged my guitar playing. I just pulled up a few more that I look forward to trying today.

#4 - Noticing the light in the sky change out the window as a cloud passes over the sun.

#5 - Two books I will be picking up this afternoon from the library - one of Jon Krakauer's new ones and Zeitoun. Books are kind of like dating - they might sound or look good but you never really know if they are - until you spend some time with them. Anyway from the description on World Book Night Zeitoun sounds really interesting,

"The true story of one family, caught between America's two biggest policy disasters: the war on terror and the response to Hurricane Katrina. Abdulrahman and Kathy Zeitoun run a house-painting business in New Orleans. In August of 2005, as Hurricane Katrina approaches, Kathy evacuates with their four young children, leaving Zeitoun to watch over the business. In the days following the storm he travels the city by canoe, feeding abandoned animals and helping elderly neighbors. Then, on September 6th, police officers armed with M-16s arrest Zeitoun in his home. Told with eloquence and compassion, Zeitoun is a riveting account of one family's unthinkable struggle with forces beyond wind and water."

No comments:

Post a Comment