Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Asheville, NC


I could, like usual, focus on gratitudes for today. Like the new name given me by my niece, "Stunky Kofer". Instead I am grateful to have a format to share some stories and beauty from my recent visit to North Carolina.

These first two are at Chimney Rock State Park.





It was obviously a beautiful place, but in fact I enjoyed myself more at the Carl Sandburg Historic Site. I didn't think I'd have time, I only wrote down the info because Sandburg is a (unfamiliar to me) poet. But after I left Chimney Rock it was still early afternoon so I went.


Was it the fact that a poet lived here that made the place so peaceful?



Or the fact that poets in the U.S. don't draw crowds of people?




Didn't matter. I'm so grateful I had the time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




I wanted to spend a little more time at this waterfall than a quick photo. Maybe I could do some yoga?

However despite the beauty of this picture, there was a fair bit of trash strewn about. So I went and got a plastic bag out of the car and picked up all the recycling. Most of the trash was either beverage bottles or discarded clothing and towels. I didn't help with the clothing situation, but the trash situation looked better as I left. It also made me happy to know that if the sweet man were with me he would have jumped right in, because I've witnessed him do such things fairly early when we'd walk together.





I haven't been excited about a waterslide in 20 years, but when I heard there was a natural one near Asheville, it was my #1 priority.



I had been warned in multiple ways that this place can be really busy, so I planned to go on a Tuesday. When I arrived at 9AM or 10AM (I forget) there was ONE car in the parking lot. I'm glad some teenagers were there with their grandparents, otherwise I wouldn't know what to do.



Or get these photos taken by the grandma.




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is Mount Pisgah, my favorite hike. It was three miles from my campground to the top which I find to be the perfect distance.




Near the top











Although it seems like I went to North Carolina to enjoy the nature. The original prompting for the trip was guitar and folk week. So I'll end with some possible options for my album cover ;).




















1 comment:

  1. You probably can't notice this yourself, but you seem like another woman on the pictures now. So happy. And... something I can't define... not "selfassured", because I've always seen you as pretty at ease with your self but... I don't know...
    more complete, maybe?

    With the agreement of Mr. Sweetman, you do realize that we will need a picture of him too, don't you?
    ;-)


    stephanie

    ReplyDelete