Sunday, August 16, 2020

The More Time You Spend

I was getting my bike out of the garage for the lifeguard supported across the lake swim when I heard the phone.  My friend asked, "How are you?"

"Well Michael and I are disconnected right now,"

"Tell me about it," she said.  And then after me telling her some unimportant things we had a serious conversation about the struggles she is facing.  I'm not grateful stressors are piling up. However I was grateful to be able to listen and to relate.  I know how that downward spiral goes, anger or hurt about one thing, leads to ignition on many more things.  At the end I told her a little bit more about my frustration and at one point she said, "Well at least you are laughing about it," and I realized yeah, that's true.

At the end she said, "Did you miss your swim?"

"What time is it?"

"10:20AM"

"Nope it goes til 11:30AM."

But by the time I was ready to leave I knew I might miss the swim.  Usually I bike there but it takes me 40 minutes or so to finish the swim so I wasn't sure I would get there in time  so I took the car.  When I got to the lake I didn't do my usual slow entry.  I just went in and started swimming fast, which isn't very fast at all.  Because I'm so slow I usually give myself plenty of time, and today a couple of the lifeguards checked in with me near the end, but I made it - or at least close enough to the end time.

Later this evening I did an hour of phone calls for Ranked Choice Voting which I've meant to get back to.  Most of the time is just dialing and waiting for voicemails to pick up.  But  I did at least talk to a few people.

And a quote of the day -

 "The more time you spend doing nothing, the closer it is when you have to make dinner." Keira


No comments:

Post a Comment