Sunday, September 26, 2021

Unusual Soccer Move

 These are my soccer strengths

  • I have a good sense of where other players are on the field
  • I pass well - accurate and the right intensity
  • Fairy good defender

These are my soccer weaknesses

  • Almost zero dribbling/ball skills
  • I can not kick it hard - as in corner kicks or goal scoring
  • Therefore I'm almost useless as forward except to pass to someone else 

This is why it was so remarkable today, when I somehow got the ball past a person or two, and even then pulled it back (almost a ball skill) and then passed it to my teammate who has beautiful footwork skills. Even my team knew how unusual it was as one of them on the sidelines yelled out, "Tammy going down the alley!" or something like that.  (I really wanted to remember what he said, but alas I do not.) Anyway this brief moment of feeling like a skilled soccer player was very fulfilling and also led to me quickly call a sub as it tired me out.

In fact my entire team passed and played together really well today and it is so fun when that happens, when a group of individuals works well together.  And it's only the 2nd week of the session and they have all paid me - which also doesn't often happen.  (I sign up the whole team and then they reimburse me.)

When I was explaining all this to Michael I realized that one of the reasons I may think I'm good at passing the ball is that people on my team always expect me to pass it.  With the more skilled players on the field, you might not be ready for a pass from them, because if they can take it down the field past people they will.  But with me, 95% of the time you know if Tammy has the ball she is going to pass it, so they are always ready for my passes, which means it makes it look like I am a good passer.

So maybe my passing skills look better than they are...oh well...

On a different topic, Michael printed out a spreadsheet with a budget and estimated home costs for me to review and spend some time with.  I find this whole home ownership prep quite perplexing and difficult to understand.  I think this will be helpful. 

And I got some late season raspberries at the Farmer's Market that were delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment