Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Redirect

I’m familiar with the idea that if you don’t get something you want, it is because there is something better coming. However, it can be hard to put that mindset into practice. Maybe if we notice it in little ways, the bigger ones will eventually feel more natural.

My friend Lisa and I jog together once a week. We alternate between the neighborhood around where she lives and where I do. A month or so ago, I was looking at the free outdoor concerts offered in the city over the summer, and I saw that the location closest to us has concerts on Monday nights, when we often run, and it would be a great place to jog. I hadn’t heard of any of the scheduled musicians with the exception of one, Sarah Morris, who I knew I liked. So I suggested a concert/jogging field trip on Sarah Morris’s day to my friend and she agreed.

Monday night was that day and it was rainy, with the possibility of severe storms. We cancelled our plan and discussed jogging on Wed., but Wed. looked stormy too. So we ended up doing squats etc. in the living room together. It wasn’t what we were looking forward to, but we both let it go pretty easily.

Tonight I decided to take a look at that concert calendar again. Even though none of the other artists appealed to me before, maybe we could just take a chance on one and try again. I clicked on an artist with a genre that sounded appealing and they had a link to some of their music. It was great!

#1 –I emailed my friend to see if she wanted to try the concert/jog field trip that day instead. If she agrees, it will be better than the original plan. It’s someone new who it sounds like I will enjoy, and I’m already going to hear Sarah Morris in a couple weeks, she agreed to play at the farmer’s market where I’ll be working.

#2 – Also I’m grateful we didn’t reschedule our jog for today, not because there ended up being storms, but rather, because it is quiet and calm so I biked to the lake and went swimming instead. That's right I'm on a roll. That was swim #9, and I didn't think I was going to get one in this week.

#3 – I briefly watched four skillful women play sand volleyball as I sat on the beach after my swim.

#4 – A man in a brown jeep waved me across at an intersection so I didn’t have to stop my bike.

#5 – Someone mowed around a cluster of daisies in their yard. And another yard I hadn't noticed before, has turned half of their front lawn into a diverse habitat.





I listened to this yesterday and I found minutes 13-15 to be pretty interesting commentary on love.




Minutes - 13-15

No comments:

Post a Comment