Sunday, September 14, 2014

Wedges

If I were to do a self-evaluation one area that I would mark “greatly needs improvement” is my appreciation of/savoring of food. Unfortunately, I’m often eating to get on to the next thing, or paying attention to thoughts in my mind and hardly notice my food.

#1 - On the other hand, I would mark on this evaluation, “improvement noted” in the category of “appreciating my food wealth”. Tonight I ate a leftover piece of tilapia. That wasn’t enough – so I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I actually wanted to eat this as I hadn’t had one in a while. The raspberry jam was from the farmer’s market, as were the purple carrots (on the outside). Then I had some pretzels, local strawberries, a couple pieces of cheese and a few crackers. As I was putting my dish away I felt, “I am so wealthy.”

It’s a start in the right direction and it’s not the first time I’ve felt that this summer.

#2 – My soccer team was passing really well today. Specifically Matt to me to Matt to Rachel to goal.

#3 – I found out a guy on my team is a family practice doctor. He had to leave our game at 5pm on a Sunday to go to work. “What do you do?” someone asked.
“I’m a family practice doctor. I’m admitting (or referring?) at the emergency room 6:30pm-2:30am.”

I’m grateful because

A. He’s been on my team for at least a year and no one has asked what his job was before. He hasn’t been “the doctor” on our team. He has just been “Ben.”
B. He is the kindest man. It is a bit difficult for me to imagine him going through the intensity of medical school, but I’m so glad there are people like him who do.

#4 – Climbing around one of the best playgrounds in the area with my friend's kids. The last time I took them was about a year ago and I could see how much they had developed in that time. (They are 2&5 now).

#5 – I’m not impressed with most toys, but one we played with “Wedges” (or something) was for building. It was fun and I got absorbed by it.

1 comment:

  1. The toy is "Wedgits," and it's great! (Although my 5-year-old can make creations with it that are FAR more creative than I can, which makes me proud and humble at the same time.)

    ReplyDelete