Saturday, November 1, 2014

Limitation

#1 - I thoroughly enjoyed a long walk today which would not have happened if not for certain limitations in my life. 

 The studio where I take yoga offers a yoga “nap” class a few Saturdays a year.  It is an hour and a half of complete relaxation.  I really enjoy the class; however I do NOT like biking to it.  The idea of climbing up a long gradual hill after becoming fully relaxed is totally unappealing to me.  I would dread going home.  So the first limitation that led to this walk is that I do not own a car.  I am certain that if I did, I would have simply driven.  The second limitation is the approaching winter.  I find changes in weather to be motivational as this is likely one of the last opportunities I’ll have to want to take a long walk.  In addition, I do not enjoy relaxation nearly as much if I have not exercised.  Add that to the fact that last night after trying to fall asleep for an hour, I ended up reading at least an hour more until I finally could.  I usually sleep really well, but occasionally such things happen.  I started wondering yesterday how much that has to do with exercise.  As in – I didn’t exercise yesterday, I couldn’t fall asleep.  

So as I finished my walk home today plenty warm in the sun and my layers in the cool weather, I was grateful for the limitations that led me to put one foot in front of another.

#2 – My mind is still pretty active in YogaNap, meandering here and there, flitting through inconsequential things.  However my body gets it by now.  It just dives right in, let’s go, open.  After class I spoke to the instructor a bit and mentioned I’d walked there.  “Do you want a ride home?”  If she’d asked me that a couple days ago I would have said, “Yes, great,” but at this point I was not only mentally prepared for the walk but would have felt disappointed if I didn’t do it.

#3 – I walked by a house where a football was at the end of the driveway at the curb.  It was behind their mini-van so could have easily been driven over.  I picked it up and tossed it toward the house, and because of the funky way footballs are shaped it bounced funny and almost hit the guy’s motorcycle.  I cringed and then the guy came around the corner and laughed and said “I thought one of the girls threw it.  Thank you.”

#4 – The book that I began reading last night, and continued with this morning, is Paulo Coelho’s latest Adulterio.  It’s been quite a while since I’ve read a book in Spanish, so I’m happy to be doing it and understanding what is happening for the most part.

#5 – I really appreciated an honest email written by a friend declining an invitation I sent to her.  I imagine it was difficult to write.  And I'm grateful she is being true to herself instead of trying to please me or other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment