Monday, July 23, 2018

Other Seeds Too



"Thank you for teaching me not just how to connect but the importance of being/feeling connected, especially in a vulnerable way. It's such a fragile thing, isn't it?"

I asked if I could share this quote from an email I received today because yes connection is a fragile thing. He said he wasn't just feeling disconnected from me, he was feeling disconnected from himself. How often do people realize they are disconnected from themselves and ask for a pause in a conversation to reestablish that connection? I can't say that I recall this happening to me explicitly before.

It's like a revolution.

It's like a rebirth.

We were having a conversation about something that hurt/upset me and he said he needed a pause, he put my hand on his chest, closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths.

"... I wanted to be there for you and to do that I had to re-center and re-connect. Having your hand on my chest and doing some deep breathing really helped me to get closer to that."

What if we did that - all of us? I know Marshall Rosenberg of non-violent communication mentioned having to take a time-out on occasion - and be there for himself so that he can then reengage and be there for another person.

I didn't realize this post continues the theme of what I was grateful for last week until I sat down to write it.

I'm also grateful that something I began on my trip to Spain (doing 10 minute meditations daily) to absorb my experience, I keep doing. I expect it to end any day now, and maybe that is why it doesn't. Because I don't have a goal. I'm just surprised at how much I WANT to continue with it. Often I sit in the evenings. But today I did right before I started work. It seemed important. So it might seem like these photos are the only bits of Spain still with me. But maybe there are other seeds too.







No comments:

Post a Comment