Friday, October 19, 2018

Stand In the Spot that Fits

#1 - I typed up most of the relationship agreement that my partner and I have been answering questions to from a book we are working through.  I added how we'll handle each of the 4 horsemen (criticism, defensiveness, contempt and stonewalling).  We still need to add our dealing with potential break-up strategy.

#2 - I started the first step in a job search (or my idea of one) of reflecting on past jobs, why I took them, what I learned from them, and seeds planted during those times in my life.

#3 - I spent time outside on a gorgeous fall day - raking leaves, walking to pick up the car, washing and vacuuming the car with 10 year old enthusiastic assistance.

#4 -  My partner, his kids and I did my across the room game.  I had a list of statements from - "I like to go to bed early" to "I enjoy winter" to "My life often feels stressful".  If we agreed with the statement we'd stand on one side of the room, if we disagreed, we'd stand at the other.  And shades of agreement had each of us standing somewhere in the middle.  We not only all participated but I was surprised to find everyone enjoyed it.

#5 - I actually created the activity to find out some things that if we just flat out asked the kids, would be unlikely that they'd answer honestly.  However I really enjoyed seeing the response to such things as  - "I enjoy cooking" (all three of them were at the wall for a yes, while I was in the middle of the room).  "I enjoy swimming" had one child leave the room and head to the other end of the house (she loves to swim).   "I feel safe at school," or "There are things that are hard for me to talk about with my parents," brought the important information I was initially looking for, and hopefully can be a stepping stone to talk more about those topics in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment