Monday, January 6, 2020

Set Sail

  • "Remember the heart is where I am. And I love you. Thanks for letting me know. ☺️" - an email from a friend.
  • "My book should be out soon. I will let you know when it's ready!" - another friend.
  • I'm about to hop on the bus to try meeting my partner near a cross-country ski area for an after work ski.  Hopefully this will work well and be something we can do once a week.  He already has the skis in the car so I don't need to lug them on the bus, and then we can ride home together.  I wasn't sure how much cross-country skiing I'd get to do this year with my new living situation.  So far I've been pleasantly surprised.
  • My job is grounding to me.  I didn't work as much the last couple weeks and was enjoying time with the children etc. in my life.  However it also left me feeling a bit adrift.  It's nice to have something stable to anchor you, ideally something that you can also pull aboard at times to set sail.
  • I listened to Rich Roll's podcast - something like "Best of 2019" which had some highlights from his interviews over the year.  One of them was with a ultra runner.  I wasn't familiar with her but they were talking about a blog post she shared in 2019 about seeking treatment for an eating disorder.  She has been on the cover of Runner's World and a bunch of other magazines and wrote a blog about her inner turmoil as having her body displayed while also knowing she was struggling with food issues.  I really find it disgusting because I know there are women who are emulating that body.  I also find it admirable the courage she is taking to be honest about it.  A random women recently asked her what her strategy was to look so fit and she responded, "An eating disorder," and said that ended the conversation.  That could end a lot of conversations and begin many as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment