Monday, October 9, 2023

My Father's Daughter

#1 - I was planning on doing a radon test in the home we bought...so I guess that is why I did a radon test in my condo. I didn't think there would be an issue, there isn't a basement and the bathroom fans in this complex run 24/7.

To my surprise the short term test came back 4.0 which is equivalent to 8 cigarettes a day.  So I took a long term (90) day test and that came back 5.0 - worse.

I had one mitigation consultant out here last week.  He really didn't know what to do and if it would work which was definitely discouraging.  It's hard to know if I should contact someone that works with multi-family buildings or single family.  Obviously I live in a multi-family building, but I wouldn't be paying to mitigate the whole building so the guy I spoke to who only does multi families wouldn't come out here.  He did talk with me on the phone for quite a while though and gave me a couple other names to try.

One came out today, I told him I thought the constant fans would mean there wouldn't be an issue but since then the research I've done has taught me the opposite. "Not only that,"he said, "but your hot water heat means air isn't circulating."

These are conversations I would have had with my father.  He would be so interested in all of this.

#2 - Paths of least resistance.  I made an offer, which I lost, on an upstairs unit in this complex before this one.  It was gorgeous like organic magazine living gorgeous.  My unit, on the other hand, felt like a rental, which it was.

I'd take my unit any day over the one I lost though because as a lower unit it has a door directly to a patio outside.

I told myself in the upstairs unit, that it wasn't far to walk downstairs outside to some picnic tables. This is true.

But it is also true that would reduce the amount of meals I took time to eat outside by at least half.  Today's dinner would have surely been one of them.

#3 - And because I ate dinner outside I thought, "I'd like to go for a walk." It's easy for me to have that thought here. As I started my walk I once again reflected on the magic or grace that brought me to live here. Homes in this area were well out of our reach, so it hadn't been an area I was considering.

About 3 blocks into my walk I saw an office chair with a "free" sign at the end of a driveway.  I have an office chair but I sat on it and it seemed more comfortable than mine.  "If it is still here at the end of my walk I'll get it," I thought.

When I returned it was still there.  Rolling it down the street was really loud though and I thought I was disturbing the whole neighborhood.  There was one guy walking his dogs and he was glad I was taking the chair (it was his).

#4 - When I got home I decided the chair is actually about equal in comfort to mine, however, definitely more stylish. And I have a little desk like/junk mail area by my entry that I have a cushioned folding chair now, but maybe I'll just use this instead and keep both.

#5 - Before I left for my walk I thought about calling my cousin whose birthday is tomorrow to see if she wanted to walk with me. I knew she was camping with her boyfriend the last couple nights and maybe she was still there. But then I figured, "No she's probably returning from camping still, or hanging out with him."

As soon as I got home I got a call from her. She is still there and she asked me if I wanted to go for a walk tomorrow!  So after work I will see her then.


P.S. I'm adding this song which is on repeat tonight.  I wonder why it resonates so much, I don't relate to many of the lyrics, but the emotion, yeah I connect with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment