Friday, December 1, 2023

The Spaces You Inhabit

 #1 - There is a woman (originally from Belgium) living in Italy whose perspective/blog I always enjoy.  I was especially fascinated when she posted places they were looking to buy to live.  I found it fascinating how different things were/seemed.  They did eventually move, and today she posted videos of the place.  I greatly enjoyed seeing their home and I am ESPECIALLY happy to see it has light.  I remember one of the options they were considering that I thought if the doors were closed would feel like a tomb.

http://centaurwalking.blogspot.com/

#2 - I started a new job a little under a year ago.  One of my first pleasant surprises was that the meals provided during my training would all be vegetarian!  (If the organization provides food it is vegetarian so that it is kosher.)

A month or so ago we received an email about the annual "holiday" party.  I looked at my schedule and saw my home visits with families conflicted. It was a relief, I didn't even have to try to go.  But then...last week we got an email with the details of the holiday party and it's going to be games! They are asking people to sign up to bring games to play.  Suddenly I wanted to go!!  I emailed my coordinator and asked if I could reschedule my 2 conflicting families to attend and she said yes.

Then today in our weekly staff meeting we watched

How Full is Your Bucket? For Kids by Tom Rath and Mary Reckmeyer

https://youtu.be/mWe6Z3zFwoA?si=H9BIkTln9HueCWT6

This was a sweet story and one I want to read to my niece and nephew.  Since we work with families that wasn't so unusual. 

#3 - However, after the story we did a very "Tammy activity". We each put our name three times into a bucket and then pulled three names from the bucket.  On drops of paper we were supposed to write something we appreciated about each name we received, or if we didn't know the person, we could write a question to them of something we'd like to learn about them. #4 - After I wrote my 3, there were extra drops of paper you could write additional gratitudes if you wanted. I decided to write one for my coordinator/manager.  I don't remember exactly what I wrote, but it was something about how I've had plenty of challenging people in my life, however for whatever reason, I've always been blessed by great managers.  I wanted to thank her for continuing that trend and also say how much I appreciated being able to be fully myself.  

What was funny was, I didn't realize until I was about to write this.  I received 4 drops.  It was pretty obvious to me the 3 people that were assigned to write drops about me.  I really appreciated one that said for example, "I love your calm firm energy," however I hardly ever talk to this person, so I'm sure she wouldn't have written that to me without being assigned my name.  I mention this because, just like I made an extra effort to write my coordinator a note, she also clearly made the effort to write me a note, and this is what she wrote,

#5 - "I really appreciate how you show up as your full self in the spaces you inhabit."

Coincidence?

1 comment:

  1. I love your last 2 gratitudes of this post!

    Also, you also wrote this in your mail, how different houses are here and I find that so... weird/fascinating, because I have no idea how our houses can be different from yours. I have this idea that in the western world most houses are more or less similar, with some style differences like more white and minimalism in Scandinavian homes and more colours and fuss in southern Europe and gigantic big fridges in the US.
    So I keep wondering about the differences and about how something that's so 'normal' and 'universal' for me, apparently is not that at all...

    ReplyDelete