Saturday, February 17, 2024

Good Trouble

 I had a few friends over for lunch today.  Before they left one gave me a card.  Was it a thank you for lunch?  My friend said it was a late birthday card.  I read it quick.  Then I read it again after they left and I was so touched.  It says,

"Tammy, When I saw this card, I thought of you right away - someone who gets outside and enjoys the lakes and parks all year long. I hope you had a good birthday and it's good to see you enjoying your home and life.  Thanks for being a great friend, teammate, letter-writer, poet and encourager to me all these years.  And now to"...(and he named his wife and baby) "too!"

All of it is nourishing to me, however the part that I think touches me most is "encourager".  This is not a friend I would expect to hear that from.  I really don't talk, or see him much at all.

It is also really touching to hear him say "it's good to see you enjoying your home and life."  It makes me think about how it has been a hard road that has brought me here.  And I  have not denied or hidden that. I'm trying. And it is nice to have someone say that shows.

This friend got married two summers ago. 

They had a baby in September, who I met today. We had lunch with another mutual friend and then took a brisk walk.

My friend hasn't played on my soccer team since the baby until 2 weeks ago when he subbed.  We play half field and at this particular location the goals are particularly small.  My friend jumped up to head a ball when our goalie was up field and smashed his head right into the top of the goal.

On a normal field that isn't possible, so it wasn't something he was thinking about.

Anyway, I was glad to hear today that it turned out fine.

And now I'm going to watch the kind of film I like (or at least assume I do)  John Lewis: Good Trouble

"Using interviews and rare archival footage, JOHN LEWIS: GOOD TROUBLE chronicles Lewis' 60-plus years of social activism and legislative action on civil rights, voting rights, gun control, health-care reform and immigration"


No comments:

Post a Comment