Monday, October 24, 2011

Happy Food Day

  • The brave parents (and others) in this video who are standing up for kids who are bullied. This teen committed suicide last month after incessant teasing about being gay.

  • The website where I found that video. I was listening to The Story and it mentioned a neuroscientist who is working on a book about intuition. Interesting! So I clicked on her website and after the briefest of readings, I am grateful for the work she is doing.

  • The breakfast I was looking forward to eating today - yogurt (full-fat), oats, chopped apple, walnuts and raisins. Yum! I started eating this last week because I ran out of cereal and had to come up with something else. Part of the reason it's exciting is my successful reintroduction to apples...usually at this time of year I'm bummed because it will be a long time before I see fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, peaches, nectarines etc. Yeah it's apple and pear season, but it just doesn't live up. However this year I've eaten very few, if any, plain apples in the last six months, so now I'm actually excited about them again.

  • Fresh a movie I watched this evening (about our food), which showed both the sad/depressing parts AND the rockin farmers who are doing things differently. I am a pretty frugal person, except when it comes to food. At times I almost feel apologetic about how much I will spend, despite knowing cheap food is expensive too - we just aren't paying. For example, yesterday I spent $7 on just the spinach for a recipe I made today. I could have modified the recipe or made something else when I realized the price, but with a bit of guilt I bought it. After walking out of the movie today I yelled, "I spent $7 on just the spinach in the meal I made today and I am proud of it!"

  • And a quote which ties my gratitudes together, "mother nature likes diversity in the materials she creates."

No comments:

Post a Comment