Friday, April 13, 2012

Where Ugly Lives

#1 - Being offered two tickets to Farvi conducts Rachmaninoff at orchestra hall.

#2 - I'm home a little bit sick today. I always feel bad cancelling things I've committed to because I'm sick and it makes me wonder how people can handle it that have a lot more influential lives than I do. Like what if I had a big concert that a bunch people had bought tickets to, or I was in government and had an important meeting with a foreign official or I was in the Olympics and my big event was that day. Anyway, I'm glad that though it can be disappointing to not do something I planned to, the impact of my sickness is pretty small.

#3 - The understanding I received (as opposed to pressure to work anyway) when I told let them know I was sick. I was told something like "feel better before the weekend."

#4 - Having R.W. Knudsen Morning Blend juice on hand. (One of my favorite, especially when I am sick.)

#5 - "The first time I was ever called ugly, I was thirteen. It was a rich friend of my brother Carlton's, over to shoot guns in the field.

'Why you crying, girl?' Constantine asked me in the kitchen.

I told her what the boy had called me, tears streaming down my face.

'Well? Is you?'

I blinked, paused my crying,'Is I what?'

'Now you look here Eugenia'...'Ugly live up on the inside. Ugly be a hurtful, mean person. Is you one of them peoples?' (73)"

The Help
Kathryn Stockett

No comments:

Post a Comment