Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Who's Gonna Be the Rep?

Some people don't like to be a part of the political process until close to the election.  However, by that point I feel there is little choice.  Unfortunately our system is dominated by two parties and of the two (I would like to be surprised here), but there is basically only one I have chosen.

However, I'm not always excited about the people chosen by either party and so the more I learn, the more interesting I find it to be in on the process early - to actually help shape the choice of who is on the ballot in the first place.

Each senate district in Minnesota has two state representatives.  The woman who was going to run for re-election as representative in my senate district, unexpectedly withdrew from the race.  The filing deadline for the election is next week so now the party needs to decide what to do.

I went to a meeting about this last night.  It was decided to have an endorsing convention on Sunday.  Since it is such short notice they needed to call the 125 people who are delegates (which was basically anyone that showed up on caucus night in February and was willing) to help make the endorsement decision.

#1 - I was one of five people who volunteered to make these phone calls.  I am grateful to have the time to do this.

#2 - One woman, who is on the school board and who I think is really cool, volunteered to make all 125 phone calls last night.  I am grateful that 4 of us volunteered in addition so she didn't have to do all that.

#3 - These were the easiest "list" of phone calls I've had to make.  Everyone was receptive and interested.

#4 - When I found out this seat was open, one woman came to mind.  She is someone who loves politcal stuff, is really active and I've come to respect both for who she is and for her viewpoints.  I was excited to learn yesterday she had read my mind (and was running).  I sent her a card of encouragement today.

#5 - I sent a letter today to a friend I'd been meaning to write since January, and I trust that now is a better time for her to get it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment