Tuesday, February 18, 2014

This is What Wealth Looks Like


#1 - Hearing my Dad's wet shoes on the clean kitchen floor.

#2 - Actually, I was initially annoyed to hear the squeaky sound of his shoes, but then I somehow shifted to being grateful for the sound instead.

#3 - Walking the 1/2 mile or so to the ice rink to skate.  I'd had that intention one evening last week too, but I didn't have as much motivation as intention then.  I wore my snow pants so I could just plop down on the snow and put on my skates. The ice was perfectly smooth, no holes or chunks to trip on.  My mind was mostly quiet.  I sang a couple songs.  I thought, "This is what wealth looks like."

#4 - Looking up I could see Orion's belt, as had been pointed out on an evening walk at Itasca State Park last weekend.  Whether by moonlight in the forest or streetlights in the city - it was the same gleaming night sky.

#5 - "I’m not the only one who gets a boost from greenery; social scientists have documented that access to green spaces increases quality of life and reduces stress. In one study from England, the effects were more long-lasting than the happiness people experienced from getting a raise at work. This is hugely significant to our increasingly urban world population, where depression is among the top causes of disability."

Jennifer Vogt-Erickson

http://www.albertleatribune.com/2014/02/plastic-bags-cost-more-to-use-than-to-make/

1 comment:

  1. you have no idea how lucky you are to live there, to see that beauty with your own eyes, to feel that cold, everything...
    Just think that where I live, it is impossible to not have a building in your sight. You have to drive at least 100 miles to get a possibility of that...


    stephanie

    ReplyDelete