Saturday, April 21, 2018

Walking

Besides groceries and a little cooking - I didn't plans for today or tomorrow.  Sometimes I'd want to dive into things at home - but I've had the past couple weekends for that, especially last weekend with the snowstorm.

I started calling friends to see if I could find someone to go for a walk.  After a bit one responded and we made a plan for later tomorrow afternoon.  I did some cooking and dishes and grocery lists, but I then I didn't want to wait for tomorrow to go outside and I was having difficulty motivating myself to do anything alone.  I called a fried that moved recently, he didn't move far and though he wasn't available for the walk, it was good to talk quick and get his new address (#1).  I tried my sister-in-law, I left another message...then I went outside and sat on the front step.  I had thought about biking to the store or the library, but I pretty much gave up and it seemed enjoying the sun on the front step was as far as I was going to get today.  I had aspirations for more, but not the motivation to make those aspirations happen myself.  Soon after I gave in, the phone rang and a friend said yes he'd love to go on a long walk (#2).

I've wanted to have this friend over for dinner for over a year since I unexpectedly came across him at a poetry event and learned he is now living in the area.  We actually had plans for him to come over once for dinner and he never arrived, he forgot.  But now he was headed over for a walk, and it was close to dinner time so I started cooking.  Usually I don't have much to cook on Saturdays as I grocery shop Sundays, but because of the snowstorm I shopped later in the week and so I made us sweet potato quesadillas (#3).

Then we headed out for our 6 plus mile walk around a lake.  I was surprised by the speed at which my friend was walking.  I had to keep up.  When we got back to the car he said he's had a hard time walking because of some nerve damage.

 "You were really booking it I would have never guessed." I replied.

"I was frustrated so just pushing through it," he responded.  "But then you had us stop and said this was Medicine Lake so if you need any medicine you can ask.  I thought about asking about this pain but then I thought that was dumb.  But then I thought, 'Why not?' so I did and after that it stopped hurting."  (#4)

"Wow. 

Maybe because 'What you resist persists,' maybe you let go of some of your resistance after you asked the lake?"

Or maybe nature is just magic (#5)




1 comment:

  1. I liked this post.
    I have this every now and then, that as soon as I put some pain or aching into words, it disappears. It has me wondering whether it's just psychological, like a call for attention and I don't like it because talking about it has the other person worried.
    So now I pay attention to it and try and wait for it to pass with time, but it still is a weird phenomenon...


    stephanie

    ReplyDelete