Friday, August 17, 2018

Homework


#1 - This year I am in a monthly writing and meditation class.  Each month we have multiple homework assignments.  For example - once a week drink a glass of water or eat an apple without doing anything else, or slow walk around the block at least once, or read a picture book and take your time with each page, enjoy letting your eyes rest on the images, or listen to an entire CD/album from start to finish without doing anything else.

Last month one of the assignments was "Find a place outside you can recline - a blanket on the grass, a hammock, a reclining lawn chair, on top of a picnic table.  Set your timer for 15 minutes and watch the sky." 

This photo is what one of the other women in class saw when she did that assignment.  I asked if I could share it and Diane said yes.

#2 - This month one of the assignments is "Think of one small action you can take every day between now and Sept 16th.  It will be the exact same action 34 times.  Ideas:  take a picture every day, drink a smoothie every day, read a poem every day, send a postcard every day, walk around the block every day.  Keep it simple." 

I decided to read a poem to someone every day- preferably a different person.  So I pulled out the notebook where I write favorite poems and I pulled out my address book and started calling.  On Tuesday I called a friend I haven't spoken to in a year.  On Wednesday a friend I haven't spoken to in 7 years.  On Thursday a friend it's been more than 10 years.  Today the woman who owns the studio where I do yoga.  So far no one has answered, which is great, I just leave a voicemail.  I think that is why we often don't call someone we haven't spoken to in a long time, where to begin?  But it's so nourishing, to me at least, to just scatter these seeds of connection.  Scatter these seeds of poetry.

#3 - I was about to call the White House comment line because of the horrific amount of money needed for Trump's military parade.  I looked it up right before I called and found out the parade had been postponed, so I actually called and thanked them for postponing (or hopefully cancelling altogether).

#4 - I haven't been motivated for a number of months to check out a cookbook from the library and try some new recipes until a couple weeks ago.  This week one of the recipes had 8 oz of dried porcini mushrooms, when I went to the bulk section to buy them I found out this would cost $40.  I figured this must be some sort of error, maybe it was 8 oz AFTER reconstitution.  I bought 1 oz and then my partner gave me another ounce or two he had when I told him the story.  Suffice it to say I made the recipe but without the quantity of mushrooms.

I'm grateful to have leftovers of this to take with me so I have an quick/easy meal to eat between barre class and cleaning the yoga studio today.

#5 - My doctor suggested trying physical therapy for an issue I've been having.  I was having some gratitude challenges with this wondering how much time this is going to take and if insurance will cover it.  I called insurance today and they said the clinic and physical therapy will be covered (to a certain amount of visits).  I know this is a huge privilege in this country, and for that I truly am grateful.

1 comment:

  1. I like the assignment of the 34 repeated actions, but can I ask, what is the objective? Is it supposed to make you perceive the action in itself differently? See how you evolve? Bring stability because you do the same thing each day?
    Thank you,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete