Friday, February 8, 2019

Addendum

I wrote Wednesdays gratitudes before my evening activities so I wouldn't be on the computer when I got home.  I "thought" of those gratitudes, but I wasn't feeling grateful when I wrote them.  Once I started skiing I felt more discouraged by how tired I felt than grateful to be out there.  At the last hill, 1/3 of the way up and feeling completely out of shape, I pulled to the side to rest while 7 or so young adults from the high school ski team passed by.  They were skiing fairly leisurely and one young man turned to me, and with pure sincerity and openness said, 

"Isn't it a beautiful day for skiing?"

Here was this high schooler, surrounded by his friends, extending a hand to a stranger resting on the side of a hill.

"Yes it is," I replied, and a piece of my soul thawed and my whole day opened.  I could now take in the snow covered beauty, instead of focusing on my lack of cardio fitness.  Here was this 17 year old turning to a stranger and connecting me, not only to him, but to myself and to my world.

That comment shifted my entire day.

1 comment: