Friday, February 22, 2019

Where Are the Spaces?


I scooted away for a short ski today (since our lack of snow has been replaced by the snowiest February on record) at a park I haven't skied at in years.  I felt a bit guilty driving there as I didn't stay long, however I chose to do a short ski instead of a long one that would be more exercise, but leave me rushed and stressed.

I also did some errands, like picking up a new lock for this window.  The other half seems to have disappeared.

I got some long underwear on clearance (I went a couple weeks ago but I was just a bit too early).  Along with a toilet bowl brush.   Little tasks that have been on the my "to do" list.

Last week my partner and I did a personal shopping session at the thrift store (something I've wanted to try for myself for over 5 years).  I'd highly recommend it, they don't work on commission so there is really nothing to lose.  She even said she'd take notes on us so if we use the service again they'll have that info.  Seriously, at a thrift store!  After washing my clothes I just left them all at my partner's place.  Now I have a pair of jeans, a pair of yoga pants...that don't need to be packed back and forth.



I chose "Where Are the Spaces?" as my subject line because though I know to compare myself to another person is simply ego, sometimes I can't help it.  I have no idea how people manage who have way busier lives than I do.  And I am often in awe, or think there might be something wrong with me.  My life has been given much beauty since my partner and his children came into it, and at the same time I sometimes wonder, "Where are the Spaces?"   I don't know how people work full time, have children and still plan things.  I don't know how people constantly go from one activity to the next.  It's hard to remember to have spaces in between the activities.  Reminds me of a poem I wrote almost twenty years ago that ends



I whisper songs of stillness, between the speed of rushing sounds.  Car doors slamming transporting bodies to various locations forgetting, 
they are held
 
forgetting 

they are loved

in the spaces

in between.











No comments:

Post a Comment