Sunday, May 5, 2019

One More Hike

#1 - "Thank you store," my almost 4 year old nephew said as he waved good-by.  It was after the first restaurant experience I have had with him where no one had to leave the restaurant early and go outside.  He sat in his chair entertaining himself with the ice cubes in his glass, making faces at his daddy etc and we were able to eat an entire meal.

#2 - We pulled into the driveway after our camping trip, as the last chapter of The Phantom Tollbooth was being played on the audiobook.  My niece sat in the car until she heard the last word.

#3 - After the other kids/families left that we were camping with.  My niece and I rolled the Story Cube game and told stories together using the 9 pictures that we rolled on the dice.  It is a difficult muscle to stretch, but a good one.

#4 - The kids wanted to take one last hike before getting in the car (or at least thought that would be an excuse to delay getting in the car).  It worked.

#5 - My niece didn't whine with me the whole weekend, however as soon as we were near her parents the whining started.  It made me think how we often save the worst of ourselves for the people we love the most.  I am as guilty as that as anyone.  When I got home this evening I was tired and didn't have much to offer my partner either besides tiredness.  He said they could have used my logistical expertise today.

No comments:

Post a Comment