Thursday, April 29, 2021

Home Buying Community Ed

 #1 - Maybe it's because I've already done some other educational stuff recently for myself, but the Home Buying in the New Economy class that I took over community education tonight was really helpful/informative.  Previously I've found the whole topic overwhelming, tonight I was familiar enough with the basic terms I guess that the well organized class was engagable.

#2 - The instructor seemed like he'd be a good pick for a realtor.  Plus he was interested in and does canoe racing - not the racing part but the canoe connection is cool.

#3 - Michael and I had a good walk/talk about home ownership after, until he was trying to explain something to me with simple numbers. I was ok with using $100,000 for simplicity as a home price, but when he used the example of selling at $200,000 he lost me because that wasn't at all realistic.  He got impatient, he was just trying to explain a concept with easy math and said you could apply that concept to anything.  I said, "But I want to understand this in a realistic fashion."

"Well the $100,000 isn't realistic either,"   This part of the conversation led to him saying, "I don't know if I want to do this with you," meaning buy a house.  And then I felt hurt and our enjoyable conversation petered out.  

Later I realized how impatient my dad used to get, similarly, when he was trying to explain something mechanical/etc. that was obvious to him.  The gratitude here is before that I enjoyed the walk/talk, and I can understand his perspective of wanting to just explain to me using numbers that didn't require a calculator so I could transfer that knowledge later.  And I suppose this is where my teaching affinity comes to play in that I would likely tailor what I was teaching to help a student understand, and I wouldn't feel impatient because I enjoy helping people learn.

However it is not for everybody, and I certainly get impatient with other things.

#4 - My instinct to offer a birthday present for my sister-in-law of having my niece and nephew stay with me (as I'll be fully vaccinated in a month) seems to correspond to support a gift idea my brother has in mind.

#5 - My brother emailed me today asking about a red cargo net thing that my dad owned.  His car is on the smaller side and is cramped when they go camping, but he realized something my dad had would fit on his roof.  It had a red stretch netting to secure things and my brother asked if I knew what we did with it?

I did recall the item and thought we may have it, but I asked Michael and I guess we took a similar item but it was black and rectangular instead of square.  It didn't seem like something I would have gotten rid of, but there was so much to get rid of who knows.  Either I did get rid of it, or Scott thought had may have it in a box somewhere at his place.

I inherited my dad's car and the trunk has a little lower level storage area that still had some of my dad's things.  I looked thru it at least once last year, but for the most part I left the tools etc in there as is to deal with later.  Anyway, I've been meaning to go thru that stuff and today was a beautiful day so I went outside and lifted up the trunk flooring to show that compartment and there was the red net thing my brother needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment