Thursday, June 24, 2021

Lowest Common Denominator

 Soon after I moved in with Michael and his two daughters, we implemented monthly "family activities."  The idea being once a month we have some scheduled time together and we rotate who decides what we do.  I find this to be way more enjoyable than coming up with an activity together that we all want to do - a lowest common denominator type thing. It lets each person be more creative.

This month I was getting a little worn down, because I keep track of whose turn it is.  And I sometimes end up doing what feels like nagging. "It's your month...Do you know what you want to do?...When do you want to do it?" And then a couple weeks later, "Have you decided on a family activity?" It was feeling more of a chore than fun. Plus finding a time that works for everyone (which during Co-Vid was super easy).

Anyway, I was feeling a bit drained yesterday after asking those questions multiple times this month, and offering suggestions since Michael's eldest didn't know what she wanted to do.  Then yesterday she asked how much the activity could cost. (We started out with the activities having to be free, but this year said one of their activities could entail a small cost).  She wanted to go to the Walker art museum.  I said I was sure that would qualify, but it just so happens that we are going today which happens to be free Thursday evenings. 

Michael's eldest having her driving license comes in handy as she can pick up her sister from her summer day camp and meet us at the museum.  I'm hoping that Michael can get off work in time that we can take the bus there.  And I'm grateful for my simple/flexible job that allows me time to pack a picnic dinner for ourselves that we can eat in the sculpture garden.  I wasn't sure we had much to pack, but yesterday I started unthawing some rhubarb-strawberry bars we made for Michael's birthday.  We made extra and froze a pan- so having those as a dessert should make the fact that the rest of the meal is unexciting not matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment