Monday, October 4, 2021

Physics Help

It's probably been a good 10+ years ago now that my cousin was visiting and needed help with her high school Math homework. I briefly looked at it, and thought the mental energy that would be required for me to be able to assist was more than I could muster. So I called a friend of mine, Matt who loves Math and Physics, "Is there any chance you could help today, or tomorrow. We will come to your place or meet your anywhere, anytime...?" He came to us and assisted her and was so kind and positive.

Yesterday Michael's eldest asked him if I could ask Matt to come help her as she'd done poorly on a Physics test that she wanted to retake. Matt had helped her with something once before. I was trying to think if we were asking too much, but upon reflection, the other time he helped her was at least a couple years ago, because it was before Co-Vid. So knowing it had been at least that long, I thought maybe we could offer him dinner so I called him to ask. When he called back he was so generous, and kind of dismissive of the dinner (as in he didn't need it). He said he enjoys it and it will be nice to visit us as well.

So first of all I'm obviously grateful for that.

Second of all I'm grateful for his type of friendship. We are friends because after college 5 of us (including him) lived in a house together for a year as full-time volunteers.

And that may have been more or less the end of that, but it's really the small activity of soccer that keeps us in each other's lives. For the past 8 or so years we've played on the same recreational team. Those weekly interactions are pretty small and superficial. We don't "hang" out or see each other otherwise. However, he is more than willing to help when a person in my life is having difficulty with Physics. I am grateful for friendships that come in various shapes and sizes. And I'm grateful that someone in my life thinks the one class I hated enough to drop in high school is "fun".

Then I'll add a gratitude that I heard Michael today start to make some sort of comment while making lunch that may have leaned towards critical to me, but catch himself and redirect his comment to be positive.

Finally, I am experiencing some unpleasant gas today and I am grateful to be working in our dining room alone, with the windows open.

No comments:

Post a Comment