Monday, May 16, 2022

Dear God, Dear One

 I listened to the second part of Elizabeth Gilbert's conversation on the We Can Do Hard Things podcast.  She shared a practice she has in the morning of writing "Dear God - What would you have me know for today?"  And then beginning a response with a term of endearment.

"I could do that," I thought and then I heard Anais Mitchell's Bright Star at the end of my work day and I thought, "Now is the time to write." I tried to do in on the computer but that wasn't working.  I have a lot more practice letting go by writing thru a pen, just keeping the pen moving and seeing what comes.  So I'm grateful to the suggestion of Gilbert and the music of Mitchell which was the soundtrack as I wrote, and the familiar practice of a paper and pen, and having the time and space to write and then type it up so I could share it here.  

Dear God,

What would you have me know for today?

Dear One, Dear one, one that is so dear to my heart – so dear from the tips of your toes, to the freckles on your nose to all the places that can’t be seen – to that hollow space in your heart, to the place that doesn’t want to be alone, to the place that is always alone and relishes it there. Dear one you are like the sun. Dear one you are like the rain. Dear one your foundation, your roots are being ripped form the soil. They are exposed to the elements and they are afraid if they will survive.  Survival in a way – the survival of your joy, the survival of your sense of belonging, the survival of your sense or communion or connection.

Dear one, the way in which we connect and separate and connect again flows thru out our life – flows in the way the wind comes thru the screen of a window – separate and unseen – gifts given, gifts grown, gifts gone – down the drain when we flushed them away – not enough, not enough, not enough – we can’t. Dear one – it is always enough.  It is always enough. You are always enough. Know this.  Know this. Know this. You are always enough and you always will be. I was given a gift when you sat down with a pen and paper today. I was given a gift where you honored me with a voice thru your pen. You have a voice my dear.  You have so many things to say. You are opening as you close. Beginning as you end. Traveling as you

Stay put.

No comments:

Post a Comment