Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Go Men!

As toxic masculinity digs in its heels, there is another masculinity, a quieter, braver and more secure masculinity creeping in. Today I preempt my weekly schedule of gratitude blogging because I cannot hold back my enthusiasm for the men who are holding torches for this masculinity.

First I will be picking up Lewis Howes' - The Mask of Masculinity from the library today, and look forward to reading it over the holidays
https://www.maskofmasculinity.com/

Second, I was hoping to catch him on his book tour, but he didn't have a stop near me so I'm happy he posted a podcast from one of his talks.

Third, I listened to a Ted Talk by Justin Baldoni - per Lewis Howes recommendation - Why I'm done trying to be "man enough". I listened, in fact, twice.

Fourth, that led me to discover this awesome "Man Enough" website with a bunch of resources and a new show. I was already wanting to watch something NY's weekend and I think I know just the man to watch it with me. Especially considering he recently suggested we watch the film - The Mask You Live In - again.

Fifth, this very man is, in fact, going to a men's group tonight with other men working to embody all the aforementioned concepts.
 

Finally, a line from the Rumi poem I memorized last weekend,


"Instead examine how you praise,
what you wish for,
this longing we've been given."


or another way of saying it (though I apologize for forgetting whom to attribute it to - Caroline W. Casey (?).)


"The truth of what we worship
is what we spend 
our time on."

No comments:

Post a Comment