Thursday, December 14, 2017

Soccer and Rumi

On thanksgiving weekend my family had an impromptu soccer game in the back yard of my uncle's. It was super fun. Afterwards I told the guy I'm dating, "You should sub on my team sometime." He didn't look convinced, and had a lot of reasons why not, but I could tell he at least contemplated the idea.

This week my Sunday soccer game is scheduled for 8AM. It's hard to get people to show up that early on a Sunday in general and now the week before Christmas? with holiday parties? Two guys already said they are out and two subs I asked have said, "No".

So today, I thought I'd bring it up again. First, I asked my brother if we could borrow his shin guards, which would be a prerequisite. My brother enthusiastically said yes (#1). Second, I asked the guy I'm dating, he thought about it a while, then said, "Yes." (#2) This sounds super fun.


**********************************************************************************
#3 - Sunday is an annual Rumi poetry night that I attend. We chant (sing simple repetitive/meditative phrases) and intersperse the singing with Rumi poems. Most people pick a poem to read, but each year I pick one to memorize and recite. Or at least I try to, but it's only three days away, and I had not begun my memorization. So I was happy to have a bus ride today and tomorrow to work on it. I was the only person at the bus stop so I loudly recited Rumi lines at the edge of a highway and thoroughly enjoyed myself. And when my bus arrived downtown late so I missed my connection, I just used the extra 25 minutes before the next bus to walk and recite Rumi lines.

#4 - I so thoroughly enjoyed my walk to the bus, ride on the bus and wait at the bus, that you'd think I'd choose to memorize poetry all the time. But in fact I usually need external motivation, and for that I'm grateful to have this Rumi night. I know that I will get appreciation for the concentration and effort I am putting into it.

#5 - And despite catching a later bus and missing the beginning of the band concert. I arrived for the last song of the 6th graders, so in plenty of time to see the 7th graders (or a particular 7th grader), for whom I was in attendance.


Bonus from earlier this week - I love what Glennon Doyle says about her 14 year old son and his cell phone.

1:10 - 1:14

https://youtu.be/PHiuQLs7kgU?t=1h10m1s

No comments:

Post a Comment