Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Vulnerable and Giving

#1 - For all the discouraging behavior from men out there, there are also men saying things like this!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcTKAyfBe6S/?taken-by=lewishowes


#2 - I realized that a salad I planned to make this week was going to be fairly pricey. It asked for walnut or pumpkin seed oil as well as a couple other things I don't usually buy. And then considering I am the only one eating it, and it would not be good as leftovers long, it didn't seem like a good purchase. However, my sister-in-law and I ended up volunteering together this AM so we ate it for lunch afterwards and she was the perfect person to share it with me. It had shredded beets, pumpkin seeds, radishes, green onions, avocado and nori sheets.

#3 - While we were making that salad I finally understood why my sister-in-law has been so loving and non-judgmental this past year. She told me of a time in the past when she was judgmental to a family member. She now understands the roots of what was happening and that what was needed from her was not judgment but love. I had started to wonder if she didn't understand what I'd told her about my life, but now I see she understood it more than I imagined.

#4 - If you looked at my life this past week you'd think I volunteer all the time. The reality is that three small seeds I planted 4 - 10 years ago all converged this week. They are all organizations that I volunteer with infrequently - from once a year to once a month - they are all soil I believe in and am happy to nurture. Today, sorting gifts at the holiday gift sale, I remembered why I keep going back.


#5 - "It's profoundly vulnerable to talk to someone about what it is that we desire. And I think that humans in general often have only a rudimentary skill set for how to be vulnerable with other humans about anything, whether that is in friendships or in sexual romantic relationships."

Kate McCombs

(From my favorite recent podcast discovery Smart Sex with Kerri Miller)

https://www.smartsex.org/

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, the part about your sister in law. It's very rare.
    And it makes me want to be more like that as well.

    ReplyDelete