Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Unexpected Connections

My partner bought plane tickets for Christmas back in July, before we decided if I would be joining him.  Now I am joining him, but not on the same flights.  Today his dad asked for his flight info and my partner realized that both of his flights had changed. 

Now instead of him needing to be at the airport a couple hours before me on the flight back, it would be closer to 5 hours.  When he called to tell me this he seemed a bit flustered, I just shrugged, there is nothing we can do about it.  I already knew I'd have plenty of idle time that day.

And I think the acceptance that I felt was key to what came next.  He said we could make sure to get the rental car in my name too so I could drop him off.  So I looked at a map and yes there is a park nearby.  At least I could go there for a walk outside for an hour or two before returning to the airport.

Then I thought of a friend who also lives in Texas, not the same city, but what city do her parents live in?  Could it be the same one as we are flying out of?  If so maybe she'll be visiting them for the holidays?

I sent her an email to inquire.  Then I looked at the map and saw that the airport is on the NE side of San Antonio and she lives in Austin, which is an hour or so away.  I wonder if there is any chance she could meet me halfway for breakfast?  I almost emailed her again, but decided to wait and see what she said about where her parents lived.

Her parents live in Dallas, further away, but she also said, "We’re staying home this year but if you had extra time and wanted to meet half way between Austin and San Antonio, I’d love to see you!!!"

I'm not sure if it's going to work out, but if it does, what a gift.  I haven't seen her for a long time - over 15 years.

Additionally, on the flight to Texas we are on the same airline and he was able to change it without charge, so that now we are on the same flight.  Not only does this make it more enjoyable to be at the same gate etc. but now if there is any delay, we will be delayed together, which makes getting from the airport to our destination much simpler.

This trip has the potential be either immensely healing or hurtful.  It is the same trip we planned two years ago, and then unexpectedly broke up.  That holiday was absolutely awful, and the pain reappears at times.  I just printed out an activity I saved in my email from back then to do at the airport with him and his girls.

Deep breath, trust, faith, vulnerability
trying again...

1 comment: