Friday, June 14, 2019

It's All Downhill

There is a book called Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love by Sue Johnson.  I started reading it a year or so ago, but soon stopped, it was too good.  I wanted to mark too many pages.  I had too much I wanted to go back to, discuss, share.  I wanted to read it together.

I listened to an interview with the author.  She says that when one partner vies for connection and doesn't receive it, this can lead into a negative pattern.  This is definitely true in my relationship.  When there is disconnection everything is amplified and simple statements can be taken as weapons.

My partner and I disconnected on Wed. eve.  Since that connection has not yet been re-established we tread on rocky ground.  When I accidently shattered a glass bowl on the kitchen floor this morning, it seemed fitting.  Something sharp needs cleaning up.

Before moving in together, we agreed, we wouldn't go multiple days without reconnecting.  It is fine to be upset and need some space, but we wouldn't let this drag on.

Maybe we should have been more specific on that timeline?  I don't know.  It's all a journey.  One I am grateful to be on, even when it's a bumpy one.

I did at least start my day on a positive note.  There is free outdoor morning yoga at a park a couple miles from me every day during the summer.  Today was the first day I checked it out.  I'd love to add that to my schedule once a week.  I'm happy to have had someone to bike with and even decide for us to take the slightly long way home. 

I also found a restaurant that has vegetarian options in the small town I will be at soon for my cousin's wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment