Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Library Monthly Poetry Group

#1 - Lynn read Rilke's "Sometimes a Man Stand Up During Supper" at poetry group tonight and at the end said she didn't get it. The passion that came thru me as I responded to this still has me in awe an hour later. After my response she said, "Well, I guess I need to read that again," and she did. Sometimes things unexpectedly wake up your soul - which is precisely what I see Rainer Maria Rilke's poem being about.

#2 - I shared "No Thank You" by Tony Hoagland. The energy I put into reading it, fed by the energy of the small group listening, made it come even more alive and now has me requesting more books by him.

#3 - There is a girl in the group that waved at me when I walked in. I didn't recognize her. Then I realized who she was, a child that used to come with her mother, who would sometimes share poems she had written. I imagine it had been a year or so since she'd attended and she'd grown up so much! Her smile and enthusiasm were still there. And when the woman next to me read Mary Oliver's "Mockingbird" she exclaimed in delight.

#4 - I walked the 4 miles to poetry today with the plan to leave a little early to bus home. Otherwise the next bus is 40 minutes after poetry ends. However once I got into the group I was so enjoying myself I started thinking maybe I'd stay, but then I decided right before I left, "Yes I'm enjoying myself so much that I am full. I don't need more." And I left and I'm grateful so that I can be home with a little time before bed. And even get to see a beautiful sunset.

#5 - I brought home Paulo Coelho's newest book Hippie. He is the only writer I have an author alert set for at the library. I read all of Coelho's books and always look forward to discovering where he will take me on the next chapter of his journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment