Monday, May 31, 2021

Privilege Space

I woke up this AM with a good mix.  My brother's family was staying at a group campsite at Minneopa state park.  I ended up camping one night there as well but I reserved my own site because

A. I didn't want to be in a group/not knowing I'd be vaccinated now.

B. I like having time to myself.

However I also got to spend a little time with them and take the kids down to a stream this AM where they played quite a while as their parents packed.

I made that reservation before I knew I'd be spending much of the week with my niece and nephew.  I offered to let them stay with me a couple nights as a birthday present for my sister-in-law once I knew I'd be vaccinated right around her birthday (and after school got out). We haven't had an overnight together/been indoors since before Nov last year.  I offered to take them and give their parents a break and the offer expanded a bit so their parents can take a little trip.

I am in the midst of repacking so the kids and I can camp together one night this week.  It is nice to go mid-week as then I don't need a reservation and we can just pick a day based on the weather.  (We will go nearby).  Plus it looks like 2 of my 20 something cousins will just us for part of the week so I'll have some adult companionship.  It's such a gift to have guests again.

I'm well aware that as much as Americans want this to be 'over,' most of the world is not in this privileged space, and our privilege is dependent upon the rest of the world catching up with us vaccine wise.


No comments:

Post a Comment