Friday, February 3, 2023

Boys and The Book of Qualities

 I'm having a sleepover with my friend's kids.  Tonight they were a bit rambunctious and loud.  I found myself not fully enjoying or connecting.  Just being aware of this is important and I said a little prayer "I'm not fully enjoying this, please help me meet them." 

 They switched the radio station and it had a bunch of commercials and then the oldest said, "Do you know you have a friend in the diamond business?" and I burst out laughing.  I don't know why it was funny, something in me just released.

I think my opening to not being open was the key.  Not that it fixed everything, they were still a bit louder than I was in the mood for, but when we did our tooth brushing dance party I gave it my all. And when we crawled into bed they immediately quieted down.

Last time they slept here we read an entire short novel Jonathan Livingston Seagull.  The youngest today said it was his favorite book.

Tonight their mother asked that they get to bed early, because the youngest has a sleepover tomorrow night when he won't get much sleep.  I brought in the Book of Qualities and I loved how they leaned in to read along.  I asked them to pick the quality they were feeling right now to read.  The oldest picked "Pain" because he has a canker sore. The youngest picked "Joy." I picked "Innocence" because of how open they were to read a book of poetic interpretations of feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment