Thursday, March 23, 2023

Be Careful What you Wish For

  That is my first thought today, because I walked out of my condo today on my way to work and the Ukrainian refugee that lives upstairs said to me, "I need help."

And I don't think her story is mine to tell, however she does need help and it is very stressful and I can not imagine the weight of all the responsibility she has to carry and the things she has to figure out on her own.

I am grateful she shared with me though I feel the stress and weight too on my shoulders.

And I am grateful thru our conversation to find out she didn't know about the Ukrainian American Community Center.  Although I am so angry, that I didn't tell her about it before.  I still can't believe with the other people that I heard her speaking the same language to that she didn't know about it!  I just assumed she was connected to it and that is how she knew other people who spoke her language.  Now I am just so confused.  Her landlord speaks Ukrainian and she was sponsored to come here so how could the sponsor not know about this?  I am so frustrated and confused and regret not sharing this resource my brother suggested to me earlier!

So her current problem is actually a problem that could be mine too, so helping her literally is in my best interest.

I am grateful that I walked out the front door when she needed help, literally like I was when her car got stuck in the snow.  (I much preferred the shoveling type help though).

I am grateful to have friends to call and vent to.

And that earlier today when I wanted to call my former partner about this (because I still want to turn to him for support).  I called my cousin and ended up supporting her on a hard day too.

Life is hard sometimes.

As Glennon Doyle says

"We Can Do Hard Things"

No comments:

Post a Comment