Monday, July 24, 2023

This is What Wealth Looks Like

#1 -#2 - My niece and nephew slept over last night.  We were sitting at the table while they ate breakfast and suddenly my 8 year old nephew got up and ran. I assumed he needed to go to the bathroom. Instead he ran back with the book I started reading them last night, The Willoughbys Return by Lois Lowry and asked me to read to them while they ate.

They just learned to play Scrabble yesterday, so my nephew pulled it out again after breakfast. He was being really whiny though and so I was not enjoying it. I said, "I am going to need a break if you are going to be whiny.  I will give you three warnings.  After the third one I'm going to go work for 1/2 hour."  He pretty quickly whined three times, so I went into the other room and closed the door and logged into work for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes I came out and he and my niece were happily playing another game in much more pleasant moods.  

My niece wanted to return to Scrabble.  My nephew wanted to keep playing the imagination game they were playing. So he very quickly made three whiny sounds in the hope I would go back in the other room and work and he could continue playing with his sister. 

He was smiling while whining this time though. At this point it wasn't taking over him, he was using it (or trying to).

My niece didn't want to play his game any more though, so he played his game by himself, and she and I played Scrabble. 

(Maybe I was actually the whiny problem, because after I took my own time out the entire energy of our morning shifted).

#3 - In the spring I had a prolonged bad cough.  It was frustrating for many reasons, one of which is when I got to really hacking, I'd end up peeing a little.  I ended up having to go to the toilet when I'd start to cough. 

A month or so later I read a book by my former MD Carolyn Torkelson.  She mentioned getting a referral for pelvic floor therapy for situations like this (and others). I made a note to ask my doctor about that, though my next annual exam isn't until March so who knows if I'd remember at that point.

Last Friday I made a last minute doctor's appointment because I wasn't sure if my minor UTI was resolved.  I was a little annoyed about taking the time to do this, and if it was all in my head at this point (my test came back normal) but I ended up asking about the pelvic floor therapy and I got a referral.  

Today they called me to schedule the appointment (quick).  So now I'm really grateful that I went in last week and got the ball rolling on this.  I'm grateful to have health care, and health insurance and the time and space to take action.

#4 - I was SO EXCITED last week to hear Eckhart Tolle commenting on ASMR videos and I emailed some friends about it.  One of those friends asked for a recommendation to listen to some that I liked.  And I have very enthusiastically been restraining myself from working on the long email response I have to her today.  (Latte ASMR and Gentle Whispering ASMR are 2 of my favorite.)

#5 - Finally a 10 second video taken by my favorite 13 year old while camping last week.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/9MxoZubOIuI

No comments:

Post a Comment