Saturday, October 26, 2019

Tolstoy, Cleaning, Ducklings

I was looking for something to read and I picked up this relatively short book by Leo Tolstoy called Confessions. I know of Tolstoy but I don't really know much about him so I started reading and wow. He is doing some serious introspection and questioning on religion and the purpose of life and it sounds so modern even though it was written in the late 1800's.

I spent most of the day inside cleaning, but I did get out for a beautiful walk with a friend this afternoon as well as to rake up some leaves and talk to a neighbor. We are really blessed by our immediate neighbors.

Tonight I go to sleep on clean sheets, with both bathrooms cleaned, the two rooms and stairs with carpet vacuumed, and a new shower curtain hanging in the bathroom. Repeated washings of the old shower curtain did not get out the stains at the bottom and it has been bothering me quite some time. I thought I'd change it when my partner got a new job but I just couldn't take it anymore. Plus we joined a couples group that will meet once a month and the meeting next weekend is here so that became my impetus.

This evening after being active all day I had the patience to sit down at the computer and work on an application for an Education position at the Friends of the Boundary Waters. They asked for a couple writing samples and I was so happy to find this story - well it's non-fiction so not a story - that I wrote a number of years ago about an awful situation with some ducks and a car. So I'm not happy about what happened with the ducks, but I am grateful that I took the time to write about it.

Maybe I should use one of my gratitude entries for a writing sample?  After I had that thought I then thought, "but what would I pick?" I'm not sure I have the patience to look.  We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment