Friday, December 31, 2021

The Little Pond


This grainy photo was taken from our bedroom window. We have a small flood prevention pond across the street.  Last year with Co-Vid some neighbors have gotten creative and on occasion I'd see some kids out there.  This year our next door neighbor spent hours clearing the ice on Thursday and again Monday.  And then another neighbor sent out a text to meet on the ice at 2pm today.  They had a little fire, music, beverages and cookies.  I had thought I should go over sometime to appreciate the effort our neighbor put into clearing the ice and it looked like the kids were skating pretty smoothly, so I headed over.

It was mostly the kids doing the skating, but eventually a few adults joined us. The guy who cleared off the ice was clearly a hockey player.  I think of hockey as an unappealing/brutal sport, but when I watch the skaters without the aggression I see such grace, that was on display today. 

One of the moms I know a little better than the others because Michael's daughters occasionally babysit for her kids.  I feel like when we talk at these little gatherings our conversations stem a bit beyond the superficial, as they did today, which I appreciate.

I really hardly know any of our neighbors, but overall I have the impression that they are a great group of people and I am so appreciative of that.

We may or may not be moving in the next year, and if we do, I know this pond will be one thing I miss, these neighbors another.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment