Thursday, March 10, 2011

You Don't Have to Move...


I don't think about my menu choices being limited. However tonight when I realized the entire menu at Hard Times Cafe was vegetarian...WOW suddenly so many options!

The title of the talk I went to tonight given by Marjora Carter,

"You don't have to move out of your neighborhood to live in a better one."

Marjora Carter agrees with the Tea Part that we should have smaller government. She says we could do this by creating economic opportunities for America's most expensive citizens - veterans, generationally impoverished and those traveling in and out of the criminal justice system. (She said it costs $60,000 a year to keep someone in jail. I just did a quick search on this - one site said $25,000 another $50,000. Anyway you put it, I think we could we be a little more creative with that money.)

A study in the Cabrini Green housing projects found that in those who had access to a small groups of trees

#1 - the adults had lower stress levels
#2 - kids had higher test scores
#3 - young girls had higher self-esteem (lower rates of pregnancies).

I have no idea how they isolated the trees to be the cause of this. However I also have no doubt that trees help us in unimagined ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment