Saturday, October 3, 2020

The Secrets We Keep

 Michael and I joined a monthly couples group last fall, loosely originating from a Zen meditation center.  We both really enjoyed it.  Things got wacky, as did everything this spring.  The group was supposed to take a break over the summer regardless, and today all 7 couples were back on Zoom to do it again this year.  I'm so grateful we were able to meet in person multiple times to establish a foundation for the group, and that everyone else seems to value it as much as we do.  Though it's not ideal, everyone is willing to do it online.

 Our discussion questions for today were

  • What have you noticed (and maybe changed) about yourself during the pandemic?
  • Have there been any changes for you as a couple regarding any aspect of your relationship?
  • If you have had any issues with stress/anxiety/depression how have you managed to keep grounded. i.e, in other words what has kept you going?

I mostly talked about my father as his death, going thru his house etc and the pandemic are one to me.  In a way it felt like skirting the question, but that is the biggest shift in my personal world, so it is also my truth.

As people were open with their sharings, and even Michael shared something I haven't heard him say before, I was reminded of the adage, "We are only as sick as the secrets we keep," which I just looked up and apparently comes from AA.

After that Michael's eldest picked an outdoor activity for a family activity this month - picking pumpkins at a small farm.  I let her drive on some streets with higher speed limits then I have before, since we were outside the city, and she did great.


No comments:

Post a Comment