Friday, December 3, 2010

Liu Xiaobo

#1386 - I stopped shoveling and just listened to the falling snow, something I think of as silent, but it wasn't. It sounded like a light rain, but muffled, something you had to be still to hear.

#1387 - I didn't think trying to photograph snowflakes would turn out, but I tried anyway, and I kind of like it

#1388 - Reading that 8 U.S. senators - including Gore, Kennedy and Wellstone - helped Wangari Maathai, 2004 Nobel Peace Prize winner from Kenya, when charges were presented against her in 1992

#1389 - Learning that before Wangari Maathai received the Nobel Peace Prize she had received

The RIGHT LIVELIHOOD AWARD - which is apparently the 'Alternative Nobel Peace Prize' - something I had never heard of. "Unlike the Nobel Prizes (for Physics, Physiology/Medicine, Chemistry, Literature, and Peace), the Right Livelihood Award has no categories." Apparently many award winners work for grassroots non-governmental organizations.

It saddens me to be completely unfamiliar with every name that has won this award, with the exception of Wangari Maathai. Seriously, we give power to what we focus on, and the fact that we all know names like Bin Lauden, but not Xiaobo is an indicator of misplaced priorities.

I am GRATEFUL that such an award exists and for the work all the people who have received it are doing!

#1390 - I had no idea who won the Nobel Peace Prize this year. This information often must be searched for and I did not remember to look. However Today I am Reminded

2010 Nobel Peace Prize Winner - Liu Xiaobo

He took part in the Tiananmen protests in 1989 and is still working for human rights in China. A year ago he was sentenced to 11 years in prison for his human rights work. This is the fourth time he has been imprisoned and he still perseveres!

See if I read about people like him every day on the front page of the newspaper I would have a lot different view of humanity and what is possible.

3 comments:

  1. Amen sister! Thanks for sharing all of this truly good news :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I read your gratitudes today, when I saw the photo, I thought it was Michael Jackson's glove! I was wondering how you were going to incorporate that into your graditudes. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy you should read back your first month of gratitudes and see the evolution you have made!
    I've come to see yours not as a blog, but as a part of my life. And I really like your remark about priorities.

    About Lio Xiabo, you know China is intimidating other countries out of attending the Nobel Prize ceremony? Russia obbeyes, Spain and Greece (because China helps them financially in their crisis), I believe Iran (but not sure), ...
    As their priorities are to keep their own interests (mostly financial) safe...


    stephanie

    ReplyDelete