Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Just Call Me MacGyver

#2546 - Working at the library today I needed a pencil and an eraser (not a pen which is what I had). The library has those little stump pencils, so that worked. But what about an eraser? I checked my backpack again and found....a rubber band. Rubber = eraser. I erased away.

#2547 - On the way to the library a neighbor, my father's age, who I've never known personally asked, "What is your profession?" I'm pretty sure we both said hello first, but I don't think there were any other words than this. (This is why I don't talk to my neighbors :).

Anyway, I said, "I don't really have a profession...."and started to say a little more but she interrupted,

"What is your degree?"

"Elementary Education."

"So are you looking for teaching jobs?" The conversation progressed a bit from there.. Then she asked similar questions about my brother. :)

Thank God I was in a positive secure mood because I found the whole thing more humorous than intrusive. I do think it is an intrusive aspect of our culture that we want to immediately know people's occupations. What if we said, "Hello, how much money do you make?" or "Hello, do I value what you do to earn money?" To me, these all are more or less the same question.

#2548 - Which reminds me of a conversation I overheard my brother having with his friend recently. His friend was asking if he recognized the language a couple people were speaking at their pick-up soccer game. Then they got into a discussion about asking people where they are from and how often asking a non-white person where they are from includes a connotation of them being "other," asking because they are obviously not from "here." My brother was saying how that question is too easy.

"Well, what questions would you ask if you wanted to get to know someone," his friend asked.

"Do you speak any other languages? Have you ever flown in a plane? Do you like spicy food?" These were the questions I remember my brother rattling off of the top of his head, there were more,

and I really respect him for that.

#2549 - At three am this morning I woke up. You could say I woke up from the toilet flushing, because it did, but that does not usually wake me up.

In my head I heard this song -

Here I am Lord
It is I Lord
I have heard you calling in the night
I will go Lord
If you lead me...

And I started wondering if I should get up? It was 3am and I wasn't thinking clearly and so I had to listen to the song playing in my head again.

Here I am Lord
It is I Lord
I have heard you calling in the night
I will go Lord
If you lead me...

Obviously! So I got up and there was my sister-in-law, sitting by herself in the living room, in very early stages of labor. I had her lay down and did Reiki on for about an hour and she relaxed and rested.

#2550 - I just looked up reiki to link it and realized it originated in Japan, just like my sister-in-law! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment