Monday, August 30, 2010

Mosquitoes

#911 - I woke up early to take a quick hike before coming home from camping. The hike became even shorter because despite my long sleeves and pants, which were uncomfortable because it was warm and humid, the mosquitoes were relentless. I was getting crabby. Instead of fleeing from the campground (well I still did that), but it occurred to me to take a Quick Swim removing Sweat, Cooling me off, and Protecting me from the Mosquitoes.

#912 - I am Grateful to the Mosquitoes to Have Inspired the Refreshing Dunk which I would not have taken otherwise

#913 - Hardly Reacting - I know I was bitten yesterday. Once, I looked down at my at a small section of exposed skin and saw four mosquitoes in a 1 inch by 1 inch area on my foot. Today I can hardly tell and am not itching. Maybe it will come; it does seem that my body has built a degree of immunity though.

#914 - I received this Postcard/Ad from Sea Kayak Adventures last week. I became quite angry, any idea why?

I taught environmental ed for while on the coast. We had tide pools and took children there. They could touch, but definitely not pull off a sea star/starfish, that would be kind of like ripping off your feet. I started complaining about it, but since I don't like listening to complaints, I decided to write Sea Kayak Adventures a letter. After I calmed down a bit, I wrote that I was unfamiliar with their organization, but that I imagined they helped connect people with nature which is a beautiful gift. I was disturbed by the photo on their ad because as far as my understanding of starfish goes, it was probably being killed to appear in this photograph and would teach others that it's okay to do this.

I already felt better about it by just writing.

Today, I received their response,

"You make a very good point regarding our Baja postcard and we will not use that photo again. Occasionally our guide will bring up a star fish to show people better, but you are right, perhaps we can find a better way. We thank you for taking the time to contact us."

YEAH!

#915 - Jill's Beautiful post about her Home

1 comment: