Friday, May 6, 2011

Guitar Anniversary

#2256 - A friend, enthusiastically, going to look at frames for glasses with me.

#2257 - Being in a quiet enough space to read a few Pablo Neruda poems this morning (which I'm on my final renewal from the library, but have hardly touched.)

#2258 - I started playing guitar last May while house/cat sitting at friends' with guitars. They asked me to come back for my one year anniversary (well actually because they were going on a retreat).

#2259 - I rarely take a nap, and if I do it is light and short. When I got to my friends' today though I didn't do any of the things I thought I might - bike, run, play guitar, I fell asleep. I fell asleep HARD, the kind I tried to shake myself awake from and I just couldn't: a little eerie, disconcerting and an hour later still disorienting. What it makes me realize though is how restful my sleep usually is.

#2260 - From the introduction to Good Poems for Hard Times selected and introduced by Garrison Keillor

"People complain about the obscurity of poetry,
especially if they're assigned to write about it,
but actually poetry is rather straightforward
compared to ordinary conversation with people you don't know well,
which tends to be jumpy repartee...firmly repressed, locked up in irony, steadfastly refusing to share genuine experience-
think of conversation at office parties...
rarely in ordinary conversation
do people speak from the heart and mean what they say
How often in the past week did anyone offer you something from the heart?
It's there in poetry
(xviii)."

No comments:

Post a Comment