Saturday, February 19, 2011

be of love (a little) more careful than of everything --e.e. cummings

I've started reading Elizabeth Gilbert's latest book, Committed, surprisingly enough on my brother's insistence. If you see me reading a book with a bunch of paper scraps sticking out, it means there was something on that page that I wanted to go back to and either ponder, discuss or write down. So I can count at least five scraps here...

I've never liked, "until death do us part." I know I am a minority here, but Gilbert found me a mentor in Lillian Harman. In 1887, Lillian Harman, "refused to swear eternal loyalty to Edwin (her husband), but stated firmly that she would, 'make no promises that it may become impossible or immoral for me to fulfill, but retain the right to act always as my conscience and best judgment shall dictate (77).'"

***

Slaves were not allowed to marry which destroyed the institution of marriage in the African-American community and has lasting effects today (69). I hadn't thought about that before.

***

"Real, sane, mature love - the kind that pays the mortgage year after year and picks up the kids after school - is not based on infatuation but on affection and respect (102)."

***

And I can't explain this one, you have to have the pre-story, so it will only have meaning to you if you own the book. I'm on p. 177, and my far my favorite moment was what Gilbert's grandmother said to her on p. 166.

***

Okay that was true until I read 190-194, her section about childless women. Well done Elizabeth, I'm glad to hear it and AMEN!




No comments:

Post a Comment