Thursday, January 20, 2011

Gratitude Grows

I am grateful that when there was a lot of complaining going on in my head this morning:
A. I was well aware of the fact that the complaining was there, so I was able to separate myself from it a little.
B. That another voice in my head told the complaining voice to, "Shut up!"
C. That the argument between the two, though not fun, also slightly amused me.
***
Energy saving action of the day - I usually wait for food to cool to put it in the fridge. However since this soup had fish in it I didn't want to let it sit out a long time. Instead of putting it in the fridge hot, I just set it outside for a little bit. Presto!
***
When I used to make lists of things I wanted to accomplish in my life - becoming fluent in Spanish was one of them. But I just don't use it much. A couple months ago, two women downtown were trying to get into Macy's, but the doors were locked. They looked like tourists trying to act like they knew what they were doing, but obviously confused, cold and speaking Spanish. I ran up to the door and saw on most days it would be open, but it was Sunday so it wasn't until noon. Then I ran up to them and haltingly said in Spanish, "Es Domingo. Es cerrada hasta doce." This simple interaction brought me such joy, and was certainly a gratitude that day. So I shouldn't be surprised, but I was, that I started to cry when I read and understood an email in Spanish today. I've never had a native Spanish speaker as a friend and I seem to be acquiring one and for that I am truly grateful.
***
Finally these gratitudes are getting better as I write. When I started out writing all I had was the complaining situation and cooling soup! My friend Patrick just me a message. I met Patrick 8 years ago when we both worked at the Omega Institute in NY. I am grateful for experiences such as that, because I met many people who chart their own pathways through life so to speak. Patrick's email made me happy because:
A. He just recorded his first acoustic guitar CD which he will send me.
B. He is working on a novel which he send part of
C. He has had the same job for at least three years, but soon he is going to Columbia and then much of South America for 6 months to a year. Right now I have no desire to travel, but I would love someday to spend some time in Latin America with a man. Patrick is older than me and so a living example that it is possible I would find someone whom would still want to do this when the time is right. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment