Saturday, June 5, 2010

Microbes and Music


#481 - What we focus on magnifies, and this is what happened when I designated May "The Month of Music." Originally my intention was simply to get together with 1-3 friends once a week (so 4 times) and practice/play the guitar (or ukulele) together.

Not only did that happen, but I also went to Tim Frantzich's house and played him my poems on ukulele with Peter's chords. (In retrospect I think this is a brave thing to do. I have such deep admiration for Tim's musical ability. It's like showing an Olympic gymnast that I've started doing cartwheels.)

Then I wrote my first songs on my own, lyrics and chords.


THEN I was asked to house/cat sit for friends who have a guitar, so I left my ukulele at home and I've been learning the guitar all week.

This morning I played the guitar and started Crying with How Can I Keep From Singing (which was the last song The Brothers Frantzich) played at my mom's memorial service, and then Laughing when I played Breathe Deep by Terry Taylor. I'd never heard of that song, but what fun.

#482 - "Once upon a time, wasn't singing a part of everyday life? As much as talking, physical exercise, and religion. Our distant ancestors, wherever they were in this world, sang while pounding grain, paddling canoes or walking long journeys. Nowadays We Tend to Put All These Things in Boxes.

Can We Begin to Make our Lives Once More "All of a Piece?"

Pete Seeger
Rise Up Singing



#483 - I heard about this on NPR today - for anyone who doubts the power of music -

#484 - Car Talk Happiness - I have zero interest in how cars work. However I specifically turned on this show today because I enjoy it so much. The only way I can figure this out is that the hosts of this radio program are Doing What They Love and that comes through.


#485 - When Jill came over for dinner where I am house/cat sitting, she commented that it was nice to see there is no TV in their living room. I started thinking about it and, at minimum, my friends- Amy, Laura, Jill, Peter/Kaydee, Conie, Brooke, Liz, Geoffrey, and Paul All Don't Have TV's in their Living Rooms!


My Friends' Porch that faces West and Pulled me to Watch Sunsets this Week
(a bonus weeklong gratitude)

1 comment:

  1. Me too!) I haven't had a TV in years.
    Cool thoughts, quotes and pix, dear!

    ReplyDelete