Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I wonder what I am going to be grateful for tomorrow?

#41 - Two strangers comments - Two women I don't know, who live in other countries, made comments that they enjoyed my blog today. I knew it was good for me to write this, and at the same time just writing it for myself wouldn't sustain me long term. Those comments were beautiful gifts. Thank you!

#42 - Ripples of water running down a melting street




#43 - Eckhart Tolle - Listening to him speak is like a bath of warm water - worries, thoughts, useless mental activity go down the drain and the quiet space of clarity - arrives.

http://www.eckharttolletv.com/eckharttolle.com

#44 - Central heat - Sometimes when I hear the furnace kick on, I sit beside the vent on the floor. I read, or write, or simply enjoy the warmth. This is a very simple pleasure in life and I've never understood why I am the only person I know of who does it. It helps if your house is kept slightly cool, you are drawn to the warmth.

#45 - Ukulele


"Today, like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened

Don't open the door to the study and begin reading

Take down a musical instrument

Let the beauty we love

be what we do"

Rumi
(Coleman Barks translation)


A few weeks ago I guess those Rumi words sank in. I was feeling empty and frightened and I took down a musical instrument that sat on top of a cabinet for 20 years, and started playing. I thought it would last 5 minutes, but using the Fun with the Ukulele book that was beside it, a half hour later I was still playing. I played a few times more that week and then for a couple weeks in a row I played at least 1/2 hour daily. The library doesn't have too many ukulele books, but using inter-library loan I have a fair number on my way.

This is something I never had any desire for previously and now I am daily drawn to it. I don't know its purpose, where it will take me or how long it will last, but I do know that now it is simply fun.

***************

Last night I laid in bed and thought to myself, "I wonder what I am going to be grateful for tomorrow?"

No comments:

Post a Comment